A beautiful riverside market town with lots to do
Mystery on the doorstop...
Dame Agatha Christie lived for over 40 years on the outskirts of the town and died at her Winterbrook House home in 1976, which has a Blue plaque by the door. She is buried under her married name Agatha Mallowman in the churchyard of St Mary’s in nearby Cholsey.
Learn more about Dame Agatha Christie at the Wallingford Museum’s exhibition ‘At home with the Queen of Crime’ with new information and extra, rarely seen photos of the world famous author at her home in Wallingford. www.wallingfordmuseum.org.uk/exhibitions-2019.html
Midsummer Murders - TV show
Wallingford is the original location of Causton, home to main character Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby, who is often seen wandering around the central Market Place or driving across Wallingford bridge.
Wallingford’s most recent appearance was in ‘Breaking the Chain’ which featured the town’s Festival of Cycling and aired in January 2016.
Find out more about the filming of Midsomer Murders www.visitmidsomer.com
- Pure Boating next to the Boathouse, booking at the booth, self drive electric day boat hire https://pureboating.co.uk/
- AV boats, Benson - Rowing boats, paddle boards, Indian canoe hire, 01491 835545, 07850 101108 https://avboats.co.uk/
- LE BOAT, Benson, self drive cruisers 01491 824067 www.leboat.co.uk/
- Salters Steamers - 01865 243421 www.salterssteamers.co.uk/
trips from Wallingford to Abingdon,15th July - 26th August, Mon, Fri & Sun
trips from Wallingford to Reading,15th July - 26th August, Tues, Wed & Thurs (stops at Beale Park)
Cinema & Theater
- Wallingford Corn Exchange, in the Market Place www.cornexchange.org.uk/ 01491 825000
- Cineworld Cinema Didcot, www.cineworld.co.uk/ 0330 333 4444
- Henley Picture House, www.picturehouses.com/ 0871 902 5747
- Didcot Cornerstone, www.cornerstone-arts.org/
There are lots of wonderful bike rides from and around Wallingford.
West from Wallingford - Three cycle rides starting and finishing in Wallingford.
Cycle rides: Into the Chiltern Hills - Three on-road cycle rides starting and finishing in Wallingford, ranging from 11-25 miles.
Entertainment for all ages
- Bullcroft Park - a park with playground, climbing frames and zip wire for various ages and free tennis courts
- Crowmarsh Recreational ground - a new large playground and outdoor gym
- Riverside Pool - outdoor 20m heated pool, open from late May to the end of the summer season. Situated by the side of the river, on the Crowmarsh Gifford side of Wallingford.
- Splash Pool - next to the Pool in Crowmarsh Gifford
- Wallingford Castle & Gardens
- Wallingford Museum, High Street, Wallingford - History walks every Saturday April - Sept www.wallingfordmuseum.org.uk/
- Busy Brush Cafe (pottery cafe), St. Marys Street, Wallingford https://www.busybrushcafe.co.uk/
- Cholsey & Wallingford Railway, Hithercroft Road, Wallingford - get the train to Cholsey to see Agatha Christies grave https://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com/
- St Peters Church recitals https://musicatstpeterswallingford.org.uk/
A short drive away
- Brightwell Vineyard, just outside Wallingford
- Basildon Park, Pangbourne
- Beale Park, Pangbourne
- Oxford Aqua park, Berinsfield
- Aston Martin Heritage Trust, Berinsfield
- Pendon Miniature railway, Long Wittenham
- Didcot Railway centre, Didcot
- Hawkwalk, Didcot
- Didcot Wave (swiming pool, slide & wave machine)
- Nuffield Place, Nuffield
- Warburg Nature Reserve, Henley-on-Thames
- River & Rowing Museum, Henley-on-Thames
- Island Farm Donkey Sanctuary, Britwell cum Sotwell
- AbingdonSnakes & Ladders
- Abingdon Gravitee Golf/bowling/cinema
- Kassam Football Stadium, Oxford
- Oxford Museums:
Bate Collection of Muscial Instruments
History of Science
- Oxford Art Galleries:
Christchurch Art Gallery
- Living Rain forest, Hampstead Norreys, Thatcham
- Wittenham Clumps - wonderful walks and views of the area
- Earth Trust, Wittenham Clumps
Shopping and Markets
Wallingford has a lovely range of independent shops, The Lamb Arcade antique centre and a large Waitrose in the market place are a few minutes walk away, turn right onto Wood Street, then left on High Street at the traffic lights you will see both the Antique Centre and Waitrose.
- Every Friday is Charter Market day in the Market Place early to 16:30.
- The Country market selling homemade grown food and produce, Fri 9:30-12:00, St Mary Le’ More Church, Market Place
- Local Producers Market every Saturday 10:00 - 13:00 St Mary Le’ More Church, Market Place
- The Farmers market selling local produce, every 3rd Tues and 1st and 5th Sat in the Market Place from 8:30 -13:00
There is also a Lidl on the Hithercroft Estate, 3 minutes drive away.
Didcot and Henley are only 15 minutes drive and they both have a wide range of shops.
Oxford and Reading are much larger and have large shopping centres they are 20 minutes drive away.
Sport, parks and leisure
- Wallingford Bullcroft park has free Tennis courts
- The Body Training Studio - a professional gym
- Squash - Hithercroft Squash
- Outdoor heated swimming pool - Crowmarsh riverside
- Outdoor gym - Crowmarsh recreational grounds
- Parks - Castle Gardens, Bullcroft Park, Kinecroft Park, Crowmarsh Riverside Park
There are lots of wonderful walks from Wallingford and around the area, here are a few:
- The Thames walk
- Wallingford parks for a short walk - Bullcroft, Kinecroft and Castle Gardens
- Wittenham Clumps
- The Ridgeway walk through The Chilterns
Tourist information centre
For more details on what to do and events taking place in and around Wallingford, visit the Town Information Centre, situated in the Market Place under the Town Hall. They have a huge amount of information, timetables, guides and maps.